Other languages
Interactive illustrated keys to the woody plants of the urban park
Infante D. Pedro at Aveiro (Portugal)
Departamento de Biologia, Universidade de Aveiro

P.L. Nimis, S. Martellos
R.M.F. Pinho, L.G.M.P. Lopes, P.A. Alegria, M.H.A. Silva, P.C. Silveira
Images by A. Moro and L.G.M.P. Lopes

The Municipal Park of the City of Aveiro (Parque Infante D. Pedro), occupies land that once formed part of the fence of the convent of Saint Anthony. In 1670 the Third Order of St. Francis was founded, whose church was built near the Convent of St. Anthony. With the suppression of religious orders in 1834, the Church of Saint Anthony was given to the Third Order. On 8 October 1861, this Order made a contract with the City Council, chaired by Manuel Firmino de Almeida Maia, to use the whole field of the lane, commonly called Campo de San Antonio. This field corresponds to the Garden (the highest part of the Park) whose construction began in 1862, taking advantage of the large plantation of trees that the Franciscans had made near the convent and its property since 1672. The set of properties known today as Garden and Park 'Infante D. Pedro' were completely separate and had nothing to do with one another, besides the fact that both were part of the old fence of the Convent of the Franciscan Friars. The park resulted from transformation and annexation to the garden of “Ti Germano” is farm, by the city council at the time under the direction of Dr. Lourenço Peixinho and was opened to the public in 1927, with a great and brilliant party, as reported by the newspaper 'The Democrat' (July, 2nd, 1927). By the mid-80s, this 'green lung' was extended along the river and implemented with playing grounds.
Due to the high diversity of trees and shrubs that can be found in this park, both indigenous and exotic, and the proximity to the university and several schools, this is a privileged space for the teaching of botany and environmental education. We believe that with this interactive key – prepared in collaboration between the European Project KeyToNature and the Department of Biology of the University of Aveiro, the success of such activities will be greatly improved, due to its pedagogical nature, the wealth of photographic record and its ease of use. This preliminary version will be modified soon, as a result of thorough testing in the field with real users.



Did you encounter errors or problems? Please, send us your feedback.
Feedback